“Even If You Don’t Know What To Say, Just Reach Out”
Justin Victor, Chairman, Befrienders KL | Anita Abu Bakar, President, Mental Illness Awareness & Support Association (MIASA)
You can share this podcast by copying this HTML to your clipboard and pasting into your blog or web page.
In the first five months of the year, 468 suicide cases were reported across the country, compared to 631 cases reported in the whole of 2020. As people continue to grapple with the prolonged social isolation and financial uncertainties amidst the COVID-19 situation, what toll is this taking on people’s mental health, and is this contributing to a rise in suicidal ideation? We speak to Justin Victor, Chairman of Befrienders KL as well as Anita Abu Bakar, President of the Mental Illness Awareness & Support Association or MIASA, to discuss the impact of the pandemic on rising suicide cases and the role of helplines in lending an ear to those who need it most.
If you would like to speak to someone, you can contact:
- Befrienders: 03-76272929 (or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org), 24/7 hotline
- Mercy Malaysia's Psychological First Aid (PFA) Hotline: 03-29359935
- 8.00AM - 5.00PM from Mondays to Fridays
- 8.00AM - 1.00PM on Saturdays
- Mental Health Psychosocial Support Service (MHPSS): 03-29359935 or 014-3223392
- Talian Kasih: 15999, or WhatsApp 019-2615999
Image source: Shutterstock
Produced by: Lim Sue Ann
Presented by: Lim Sue Ann
This and more than 60,000 other podcasts in your hand. Download the all new BFM mobile app.